Home at Last
There are many times when patients are medically ready for discharge but are unable to leave the hospital because they don’t have the appropriate supports in place. CANES Home Support Services is the lead agency for the program, which co-ordinates personal care and support, and transportation services provided by community partner agencies. Through Home at Last, patients have the right care to help them get home from the hospital sooner.
The Home at Last program is a free service which can provide help to aging adults and adults with special needs to settle in at home safely and comfortably in a timely manner after a stay in hospital and to link the patient to community support services. This transition service from hospital to home may include:
- Driving and/or accompanying the patient home
- Picking up medications and/or groceries
- Preparing a small meal
- Providing personal care and/or homemaking services
- Following up with phone calls and/or visits to check on the patient’s well being
- Making referrals to other community support services
Who can use this service:
- Any senior 65 years or an adult who may have a significant physical disability who may need assistance home from either William Osler (Etobicoke General) or the Headwaters Hospital.
- Suitable for seniors who are frail, live alone, or do not have sufficient family assistance when they go home.
- Call CANES Home Support Services directly at 1-877-212-2637
- Dufferin County, Shelburne and Orangeville
- This service operates from Sunday to Sunday from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm
- No cost to patients. All costs are covered by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care
Scheduling a Ride:
- Patients, family members and healthcare professionals may call CANES Home Support Services directly at 1-877-212-2637, or speak with your hospital discharge planner at 519-941-2702 ext. 2501.
- Advance Notice needed: 24 hours notice to book a ride and professional support worker.